Sunday, April 29, 2012

Bean Burger

The 'Bean Burger Story' :)


Well I woke up today morning, and just didn't want to have the usual breakfast. I didn't even know what I wanted to cook. All I had in the refrigerator was some boiled beans from the day before. 


Thought of the burgers and I decided to make my own burgers - with no potatoes. (Considering I am spending so much of my time at the fitness world these days in a hope of losing some weight ;))


Well rather than calling them ingredients, I would just tell you what I had and what I did. 


For the tikki - 


Half large onion - finely chopped or grated. 
Half a bowl of finely chopped mushrooms
Three green chillies - finely chopped
Fresh Coriander - Half bowl - finely chopped
A large bowl of boiled beans ( I had boiled beans yesterday with chopped ginger, crushed garlic, a pinch of asafetida and salt to taste)
Half bell pepper - Finely chopped
Two carrots - finely chopped
Two hamburger buns - crumbled to bread crumbs
Two large table spoons of semolina flour (sooji)
Oil - Two table spoons
Salt - To taste
Red Chili Powder - To taste


Method: 
I took a pan and heated the two table spoon of oil at medium flame. 
Then I added the shredded onion, and fried them till they were golden brown. Then i added the chopped mushrooms. Then I added the green chill and coriander. Cooked this for 2 min, and then added the beans. At this stage i let the mixture dry up a little bit, and kept stirring continuously so that it doesn't burn. Then I added the semolina and bread crumbs. At this stage, I added salt and pepper and stir fried for another minute. Finally I added the chopped bell pepper and carrots and  removed the mixture from the flame. 


To make the tikki, I took another 2 table spoons of semolina in a flat dish. Then once the above mixture cooled down I took the mixture in little portions, and made small balls. Finally pressed these balls a little and wrapped them with semolina. The mixture is delicate and so had to handle it bit carefully. Finally a shallow fried the tikki(s) on a flat tawa. 


For the buns - 
Sliced onions into thin concentric circles
Slides tomatoes into thin discs
and sliced some cucumber
Sliced the hamburgers into halves, and fried them on a non stick pan. 


Finally served the burgers with sauce and tea :) 


I loved the whole dish, and hopefully you will love this too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment