Sunday, January 27, 2013

Fried vegetable rice

It has been a long time since I wrote a blog, and looks like today I was craving to get a small break from the MBA. :-) 

So I left my MBA books and the change management paper I am working on, and landed in my favorite spot - my little kitchen. Copenhagen is all covered with snow today, and somehow after the morning swim in the wonderful Valby Vand-Kuturehuset (The water culture house), I didn't feel like eating something very heavy. 

So I decided to cook some fried rice, and loved the final dish. 

Here is what I used: 
1. Two bowls of boiled basmati rice (I don't like rice that sticks, so I boil them in loose water and then sieve away the extra water) 
2. 3-4 tablespoon frying oil
3. 1/2 Zucchini chopped into small cubes
4. 1/2 Green Bell Pepper chopped into small cubes
5. 1/2 Red Bell Pepper chopped into small cubes
6. 1 onion chopped into small cubes
7. 2 table spoon finely chopped ginger
8. 8-10 olives chopped into small cubes
9. Salt, to taste
10. Red Pepper, to taste
11. Garam Masala (optional), 1 tsp
12. Mustard Seeds (I like to use the small mustard seeds or Raee)
13. 5 Black Pepper seeds 

And here is how I made it in less than 10 minutes :-) [MBA certainly has taken away all my time]

So here we go. I took a pan and heated the oil. Added the black pepper seeds and mustard seeds and let them splutter. Once done, I added the onions and fried them till they were dark brown. Now I added all the other vegetables and fried till the zucchini starts getting a bit translucent. 

At this stage I added the salt, red pepper and garam masala, and mixed it well making sure that it doesn't become a paste or get crushed. Finally added the boiled rice and mixed nicely again ensuring that it doesn't get crushed. 

And hey I am done and I have actually finished eating now. 

Thanks for reading this. I am so happy to get some part of my life back in this little break that I just had. Now I will get back to MBA studies. 

På gensyn igen :) - I mean see you again soon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment