Friday, February 15, 2013

Hummus

Well, I have to admit that this is still not the best taste that I would like to achieve if I eat hummus with Arabian bread, Tatziki, cheese and olives. Nonetheless, this one worked great with my sandwiches and bagels. 

So thought of penning down this one that I have come to after at least 5 trials. Hopefully will get to the blissful hummus some day :-)

For this one, I soaked chickpeas (gorgonzola beans) overnight. Next morning, I boiled the peas with salt, and enough water. 

For the hummus, I took 
* 2-3 bowls of boiled chick peas
* cumin seeds
* Fresh Coriander twigs with stem - 2-3 
* Olive Oil
* Garlic - Two cloves 
* Red Chilli Powder
* Fresh lemon juice - 2-3 tbsp

To make the hummus, 
I added all the above (except lemon juice) in a blender and crushed them till they make a consistent paste. If the paste becomes too thick, I add more olive oil to it. 

Finally I just took the spread out in a bowl, and added some olive oil and lemon juice on the top for garnishing. 

I have used this with the bagels (that consists of a nice Danish bread, olives, jalapenos, fresh salad, tomato, Onions, cheese) and this hummus spread works well with that. However, if you plan to eat it just with Arabian bread, then perhaps this is not the right recipe yet. 

I am yet to get there :-) 

History of hummus: http://www.bbc.com/travel/feature/20120727-hunting-for-hummus-in-israel (Ref: BBC.CO.UK, 01 AUG 2012)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Priyanka

    Very Nice Blog and lovely recipes.
    Let me introduce myself - I am Saurav Kataruka from Kolkata. I found your blog when I was searching google for "vegetarian food copenhagen"

    Reading some of your posts I guess you are living in copenhagen. I will be travelling to CPH soon for 6 months. I work in IBM. I am a pure vegetarian too and am concerned about food options there. I will be living alone in rented apartment there and will cook myself but it will be difficult to cook everyday after work.

    Are there any options for ready to eat veg food or alternatives? Do we get veg pizza? Does indian grocery stores sell items like ready to eat packs from MTR/Aashirwad etc? Do we get Indian noodles / Maggi? Easy to prepare breakfast mixes from MTR like Upma etc?

    Do I need to look for accomodation is some particular area to be near to such facilities.

    I heard falafel is a good veg option available everywhere. Can you tell me more about it.

    I heard we get most indian grocery easily like cooking oil, vegetables, rice, aata, maida, besan, suji etc. Can you plz confirm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Saurav for your nice comments. Incidently I also work for IBM but right now I am on study leave. You should be able to look me up Priyanka Bansal3.

    I am in Copenhagen and getting vegetarian food is possible here. McDs dont have anything vegetarian, but you can get a veg burger at Max. There are some Indian restaurants around, and are expensive and perhaps not so nice - Bindiya is the most famous out of these. But I tried Bindiya and fell sick from their food. Falafel is a kind of tikki made from Chick peas. Its really nice and you get it almost everywhere. I like that.

    There are also Indian stores, and you get everything from MTRs to raw material to Haldirams etc. I would suggest if you use special spices get those, but mostly we get everything here. Prices vary widely and when you are here, let me know i can tell you where to go and get stuff at good prices.

    Even some Danish places like one called Bang & Jensen is my favorite. They have a babaghanoush on menu and thats quite nice. It is made of Brinjals.

    Copenhagen is pretty small, and I think look for accomodation as soon as you are here, and take one that you like as getting a place is the toughest here. Some people are lucky although I wasn't. It is all well connected so it should be ok. However just for record the place where I shop from is in Valby. So , just in case you wish to check your options.

    You do get all the things you mentioned and actually much more. Maggi, Aata, Suji, Besan, Rice aata, all lentils etc is all easily available.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Thanks for the quick reply :D Really good to know that you too are an IBMer and I am really relieved to at least know that I can survive there as a vegetarian. lol
    Actually this is the first time I am travelling abroad and being a vegetarian, I was bit worried. Regarding accomodation, IBM relocation partners will be helping me but I also have heard it is difficult to get accomodation easily. Are you in CPH for your studies on own or on some assignment via IBM?

    If you don't mind I would like to get some more info from you about copenhagen. Can we exchange mails instead of comments here.

    saurav.kataruka (at) gmail.com

    Plz drop me a note.
    Or If you access your lotus inbox or Sametime, we can exchange notes there too.

    ReplyDelete